Can You Hear Me Now?

We’re back!  Yes, cell phone and internet access.  How cool is that?

When we headed to Pomeroy, Washington.  We had no idea how far away from things the area was.  When we followed the GPS signs to Pomeroy and made the turn as it told us to do, the sign said that RV’s and trucks could not drive on the road.  We had to turn around and drive a long way around to get to the campground.  As we were leaving the last day, we took this picture of the sign at the other end of that same road.

While we were in Pomeroy, we decided to take a scenic route loop that we saw on the map.  Almost the entire route looked as follows:

Once you see this picture, you have seen what almost the entire southeast portion of Washington looks like.  We came close to to the Snake River and I think the Columbia.  We got a quick glimpse (below).  You realized you were getting close to water because you began to see orchards and vineyards.  There are a lot of vineyards in the west.  I suppose we are a country of wine drinkers.

There was a spot not far from Dayton, Washington where someone took the time to sculpt something on the side of the mountain.  In some groups, it would be called crop circles (only it’s not a circle).  Who knows?  Maybe it was done by aliens and they either look like us or they are depicting us.

There are a lot of deer around these parts.  Unfortunately, we saw a car hit a deer.  The woman had several kids in the car and she was traumatized.  The deer jumped out in front of the car, so there was no way for her to avoid the event.  The only good news is that the deer died within about 5 minutes.  It was sad, but it happened fast.

Here is a picture of Bambi running across the road.  The deer here are out 24 hours a day.  There is no avoiding them.  You must always be cautious.

We were pretty happy to head out to Idaho.  When in Iadho, we went to the Dworshak State Park which turns out to be in the middle of no where.  There is no internet access and no cell phone access.  It requires a 24+ mile drive to the nearest town.  Once you get to the park, there are two trails (1/2 mile and 10 miles).  Yesterday, I drove to town to make a call and it was 108 degrees.  Back at the park is was only 102 degrees.  I don’t even want to hear anyone talk about the lack of humidity.  Hot is hot.

The reservoir is about 30 feet below it’s maximum level.  The water is released to help the fish down river if the water gets too hot down river   I rented a paddle board for the day on Friday.  In the morning, there was enough wind that it was a real workout to go anywhere.  I paddled until exhausted and returned.  We went to town so Regis could find a tool he needed.  He had to go to 3 different stores and one of them was an Ace hardware store combined with a grocery store.  They didn’t have the part but he did finally get it at another location.  There were a couple jokes in the process about the size of the tool he needed.  When we got back, I went back out on the water for a long paddle and it was very calm but very hot.  Where you got in the water was very silty.  When you stepped in the silt, you sunk up to your shins in it.  I did not consider it very pleasant.  Although I did enjoy the paddle and becoming very, very fond of paddle boarding.  Following are some pictures of the reservoir and my paddle board adventure.  That small dot in the first picture is me.

On Saturday, the place was packed.  I think every human in Idaho owns a boat and came to this reservoir.  I am so glad I didn’t choose to paddle board on Saturday.  It would have been very risky.  Late in the day, we went to the dock to watch all the boats line up to come out.  It was the most entertaining thing we had done all day.

We really enjoyed the signs and the rules at the park.  We drove down a road to the group camp and saw signs that were simply laminated 8 1/2 by 11 pieces of paper.  An example follows:

Along the road were additional signs with silhouettes of animals.  The first animal appeared to be a coyote or wolf.  The second was an elk.  The third was a swallow.  Eventually, the sign was a silhouette of Sasquatch.  Yes, that’s right,  Sasquatch.  Really????  We went back the second night to bring the camera and take pictures but they blocked the road.  Perhaps there was a Sasquatch sighting????

Here was another couple lovely signs.  Please note that the second sign places the dog off leash area in the same location as the archery range.  I’m not kidding.

We also got some do’s and don’ts to the park.  I won’t bother you with all of them but would like to list my favorites from the don’ts:

.  Do not leave pets unattended in your campsite and always keep them on a leash.  Unattended pets will be confiscated and taught how to beg for food, jump on people, sit on furniture, lick faces and chase skunks.

. Fires must be extinguished prior to departure or you will be doused with a hose upon your next return….Yes, we know who you are.

. Pack it in, pack it out, leave not trace.  All garbage left in your site (this include fire rings) will be delivered to address given and placed in your yard.

. Quite hours are from 10:00 pm-7 a.m. No generators, radios, or amplified sound may be used, and your voices should not be heard by other campers who come here to enjoy the cycle of play hard, then rest, play hard, then rest, etc.   Please be considerate of your fellow campers.  If you choose to disobey this park rule, at 7 a.m. be prepared for a parade of lawn mowers, chainsaws, and a loudspeaker booming Rap music, circling your campsite like sharks.

. You want to have fun and may wish to stay longer, but please vacate your site by 1:00.  check out time.  Your camper may be moved to the activity field so the next person can enjoy their reservation. (We saw a camper in the activity field and Regis is convinced they disobeyed the check out rule.)

How can you not like a place like this?

Unfortunately, 1 day was enough for us and we reserved 5 days.  We gave up after 3 days and headed to Missoula which is where we are now.  On the way out of the camp ground, we had to stop and wait for a bunch of turkeys (appeared to be 2 moms and their offspring) cross the road.

The drive to Missoula through Idaho was awesome.  For most of the drive, you drive along some river (it changes).  It is actually tiring to look at such beautiful scenery non-stop. It goes on for miles and miles and miles.  There is really nothing else there, just the scenery and trail heads.  Since you are surrounded by mountains, the trails can only go up.  The trails are places for healthy and strong people.  We saw hundreds of motorcycles.  They weren’t all together and they were going in both directions.  I seriously think they were going on this route for the sheer beauty.  For my motorcycle loving friends, I highly recommend this ride.  We can vouch for the route from Orofino, Idaho to the Montana State line on US 12.

I am SOOOOOO glad to be here in Missoula.  I will be speaking with the lens repair people tomorrow to see if they can repair my lens.  If not, I’ll cross that bridge.  They don’t sell lenses here and I would have to go to Bozeman.  That’s not out of the question, but not something I would like to do.  In the meantime, I’m truly enjoying my cell phone and internet access.  I’m obviously not the wildness type.  A couple days are okay but then I get the DT’s.

3 Comments on “Can You Hear Me Now?

  1. Yay! Glad to hear from you!! Great pics. Missoula is a neat place. Bring me some huckleberry with dark chocolate!! Yum!


    • I will keep an eye out for them. It sounds like something that would have a hard time making it back home without getting eaten! 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: